The name “Holymoorside” is thought by some to be derived from the Anglo-Saxon word
“Holy” meaning hill clearing and “Moorside” as the expanse of moorland at Beeley
Moor once extended into the area of the village. The village of Holymoorside has
only been in existence for around 200 years, it developed during the late 1700’s
when the entrepreneurs of the day, saw that the rapidly falling river Hipper (which
went on to form the centre of the village), created the ideal conditions for siting
water mills to facilitate the spinning and dyeing of cotton. In 1871 the cotton mill
employed some 209 people but in 1928 the mill was demolished, by then the village
was made up of around 95 residences.
Before the industrial revolution brought about the development of the village, the
area, which consisited of a handful of residences - mainly lodges and farms, fell
within the parish of Brampton.
Walton (or Waltune) the other hand, has an ancient history and was mentioned in the
Domesday book as being in the King’s ownership at that time. Records show that from
then on, the estate passed through the hands of various families including, during
the 17th century, the Foljambes and later the Woodyears of Crookhill near Doncaster.
When the estate was offered for sale in 1812, the sale catalogue shows that Holymoorside
cotton mill, dam, and adjacent fields were part of the Walton estate. The grater
part of the estate was purchased by Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke of Wingerworth though
by 1849 only 550 acres of the Walton estate belonged to the Hunloke family.
Today, we know Walton as a large suburb falling mostly within the Borough of Chesterfield,
only the southern most part is in the parish of Holymoorside and Walton. Click on
“map” on the right to see the parish boundaries.
One of the earliest records of any kind of habitation in the parish is at Chander
Hill, a country residence, where, when it was being restored in 1931, a stone from
the window of a chantry built in 1400 was discovered under the old kitchen. The stone
has been built into the garden wall and can be seen from the road.
The land around the Cathole and Loads localities has been mined over the last two
centuries for its clay, ganister and brick shale.